Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Getting out of your comfort zone!

Here is a little nearly-the-end-of-the-year inspiration to get you thinking about getting adventurous (part of my presentation, and my attempt at advertising Australia):




There are so many countries in the world and places to explore and I’ve discovered in my time here that a lot of college students are under the impression that travelling is out of reach for them. And it may be right now.

But the world has never been more at your disposal.

Last night I was texting two of my best girl-friends – one in Australia and one in England, who I met whilst traveling, and we were having a three-way conversation at the same time. Technology is amazing; it has never been easier to experience the world outside your home, and you should take advantage of it.

And whilst travel is expensive, it doesn't mean you can’t have a goal.
I have been fortunate enough to travel to 16 countries in my life across Europe, Asia, America and Australia, and yet I have seen just 10% of the world.

Saint Augustine said “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.”
The executive vice president for the US Travel Association said the reason people in this country don’t go abroad is because “Americans are comfortable in their own environment.”

So here’s my challenge for you: get out of your environment. Read as much of your world book as you can.
Get out of your comfort zone, try something new, and learn more through experiences than you ever could from school or the internet. Go somewhere you've never been before; even if it’s just a roadtrip to that place you always want to go but never have time.

At the end of your life you'll regret the places you didn't go to. Get out there!

2 comments:

  1. I agree 100%, people need to step out of their comfort zones and make the most of their lives, myself included!. Nice job on your presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your presentation very much. My uncle and his family have lived in Australia since before I was born, and I know there is no excuse for me not having visited yet. Before you had given your presentation I was debating scheduling a spring break trip for this upcoming spring. Onbe of my good friends was trying to convince me to go, and of course I was just thinking of excuses; I don't know if I can save up the money; My family might be mad I'm not coming home; etc. I think you will be pleased to know that shortly following your presentation (as well as the one that proved without a shred of doubt that YOLO is legit) I decided "fuck it" and signed on the dotted line.
    You were very right about people stepping outside of their comfort zone. It seems that I was slipping on an important idea that used to be something I felt very strongly about. Thanks for reminding me where I want to stand.

    -Amory

    ReplyDelete